Tim’s First Impressions
A funny thing happened on the way to launching my own consultancy...
- looking for the next big step forward
- serious about good code
- into developing skillful programmers
- into measurement
- true believers in incrementalism
We're all in this togetherI'm an old hand at remote pair programming, but here we talk to each other more often than at any collocated company I've seen. I've nearly always got someone in skype and a few emails flying.
We're all customer-facingIn addition to our services, our e-learning software allows our users to interact with all of our programmers and coaches. None of us are "insulated" from users.
We're all experienced developersAt Industrial Logic, anyone with less than 12 years in the business is "the new guy." It's not just about longevity, though; everyone here is well-known for their work as programmers, coaches, and writers.
We're doing continuous deliveryWe ship software several times a day. It changes everything. We rely more on our automated test suite and Continuous Integration. We have more immediacy, less stress, less need for long-term planning. Any work in code or content is done with the expectation that it could go out immediately and must cause no problems.
We push limits
- Huge product backlog? Nope.
- Planning meetings? Don't need them anymore.
- Organization structure? Flat like a pancake.
- Delivery? Continuous.
- Value? Continually optimized.
- Perfect? Not yet, but we're working on it.